Book Review - Angelfall (Penryn & The End of Days #1) by Susan Ee

1 Nov 2014

5 BADASS ANGEL STARS! ★★★★★


PURCHASE ON: AMAZON

It’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back. Anything, including making a deal with Raffe, an injured enemy angel. Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they journey toward the angels’ stronghold in San Francisco, where Penryn will risk everything to rescue her sister and Raffe will put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

{Read more for my 5 stars review!}


 
“I knew from the start that your loyalty would get you killed. I just never thought it would be your loyalty to me that would do it.” 

That's it, when in doubt of what can get me out of a book funk, I'm coming back to my old school fav YA sub-genre! :D I almost forgot how much I loved these fantasy/dystopia reads and after an entire series of my usual contemp/dark reads, I feel compelled to stay on this path a little while longer. 

*******

Angelfall takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where we meet our 17-year old heroine, Penryn. Looking to survive in a no man's land, under her care is her rather mentally-deranged mother and her wheelchair-bound little sister, Paige.

Her life takes a different course when they walked in on a battlefield of warrior angels which leaves one of them severely injured and before taking flight, Paige falls into the captive of these winged enemies. Doing whatever it takes to rescue her little sister, Penryn attempts to team up with her own enemy; the injured angel left behind named Raffe and together they embark on a journey to Aerie. 

*******

You know what I love about these reads? Unlike contemp, the possibilities are endless with these kinds. It's an escape from realism and if you'd tell me pigs fly in this book, I'll gladly take it as it is! I really love the twisted idea that angels are portrayed as villains in this read, completely refreshing and rather otherworldly.
"But there's no denying that this is the real deal. Men with wings. Angels of the Apocalypse. Supernatural beings who've pulverized the modern world and killed millions."
 

I found the book to move at a great pace. It starts off rather exhilarating and continues to evolve with a great balance of suspense, action and wait for it --gore! Also, the world-building was amazing and gave me the chills in every new scene that was introduced (the forest scene was amazingly creepy!).

What I really love most are the MCs; both amazing on its own and together. Penyrn was definitely a fighter, a survivor and she is one helluva determined woman even if it means that she has to allied with one hunky villian angel to save her sister. On the other hand, Raffe is one mighty cocky fella; completely no-nonsense-and-let's-get-down-to-business and loaded with so much brilliant sarcasm that had me loving him at first sentence sight.
"“You're like a little girl demanding answers to questions during a covert operation. Why is the sky blue, daddy? Can I ask that man with the machine gun where the bathroom is? If you don't stay quiet, I'm going to have to dump you.”


I love that the author didn't feel the need to force these two together. There was no rush in fraternizing with the enemy and everything played out realistically as Penryn & Raffe slowly evolved at its own pace and built up into something so amazing towards the end. The last 20% of the book was brilliantly executed, in terms of plot action and punching out the emotional feels.
"As different as we are, we are in many ways kindred spirits. We're just two people striving to get our lives back together again."


******

Overall, Angelfall definitely lived up to its expectations and took me by a complete surprise after straying away from this genre for a long while. I felt that the cliffhanger ending wasn't too bad but felt awful for whoever had to wait 2 years to read the sequel! I was going to jump into the 2nd book too but heard that the final book is due in May 2015, so I'll be holding off till then :)

If you're looking for a badass angel read wrapped up with amazeballs sarcasm, this one will do the trick ;)

Angelfall is the first instalment in a trilogy series.

No comments:

Post a Comment